Growing Aubergines, Chillies and Peppers
Aubergines, chillies and sweet peppers are ideal plants for pots and growing from seed is foolproof.
All three of these delicious crops are grown in the same way and there are lots of great varieties to choose from.
- Fill a 7.5cm pot with seed compost, level and tap to settle.
- Scatter a few seeds across the surface
se what you need, most will germinate.
- Cover with a thin layer of vermiculite, water and label.
- Put a clear plastic bag over the top and secure with a rubber band.
- Place in a warm spot or on a windowsill.
- Remove bag when seeds have germinated.
- When seedlings are 2cm tall give each their own 7.5cm pot.
- Pot into a 12cm pot when roots show through drainage holes.
- When plants are 20cm tall, stake with a cane.
- When plants are 30cm tall, pinch the tops to make new branches.
- Give high potash feed when first flowers show.
- In May, pot into 5-litre pots, stake and put outside.