Poultry Auction Tips
- Plan the amount of money to spend on new stock.
- Check with the auction if credit cards are accepted or take sufficient cash.
- Plan a maximum quantity of new birds for purchasing.
- Ensure there is sufficient coop and run space for introducing new birds.
- Create an area for separating the new birds from the existing flock for a guaranteeing period.
- Prepare transport boxes for taking the birds home.
- Take some food and water in case the birds need it after the auction.
- If possible arrive early.
- Check if there are any auction fees on top of the winning bid.
- Check pens at least twice.
- Examine the birds to purchase very closely.
- Estimate the poultry age
- Check if it is a Cockerel or Hen
- Check for lice and mite
- Check for scaly leg
- Look for bright eyes
- Check signs of distress
- Make a note of the pen number and maximum price to bid.
- If possible talk to the seller and get contact details before the auction.
- For any birds purchased provide a drink of water and some food before transporting them home.