The Ayrshire Guide Twitter: @VisitAyrshire   VisitAyrshire Facebook
The Visit Ayrshire Guide RSS Feed


Visit Ayrshire Scotland

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 


Sheriff Court House, Kilmarnock Modern red sandstone court complex completed 1987. Two large jury courts, three small non-jury courts, sheriffs' chambers, witness and jury rooms, staff offices and solicitors’ facilities.
Architect: David M Gregory. Location: St Marnock Street, Kilmarnock, KA1 1DZ
Sheriff Court, Ayr Robert Wallace, 1818-22. Purpose built classical court house with majestic four-columned ionic portico.
Refurbished to provide two large jury courts, two small non-jury courts, witness and jury rooms, and custody area. Interesting stained glass.
Skelmorlie Aisle, Largs 1636 Renaissance-style canopied tomb within mausoleum to Montgomerie Family. Splendid painted barrel-vaulted timber ceiling.
Location: Off Main Street, Near Museum, Largs, KA30 8AW
Souter Johnnie's Cottage, Kirkoswald Operated by the National Trust for Scotland, home of the cobbler (Souter), in Burns' poem Tam O'Shanter.
The cottage and shoemaker's workshop of John Davidson, the real life prototype of Tam's 'ancient trusty, droughty crony' in Burns' Tam o' Shanter.
Rethatched and restored in 1996, the cottage contains many relics, including the family bible and the tools of a village shoemaker (Souter).
On A77 in centre of village, opposite post office.
St Andrew's Parish Church, Ayr Perpendicular Gothic by John B Wilson in red sandstone, 1893 with landmark 146 foot spire.
Fine stained glass by John Blyth, Marcus Lundie and G Maile Studiod, Canterbury. Hall 1897 by William McClelland, extended 1963 & 1983.
Location: Park Circus, Ayr
St Columba's Parish Church, Largs Red sandstone church by Henry Steele and Andrew Balfour. 1892, recently renoved. Three-stage tower with spire and clock. Interesting carved octagonal pulpit and notable windows.
Father Willis organ. Memorial to General Sir Thomas MacDougall Brisbane, astronomer, soldier and Governor of NSW, Australia.
Location: Gallowgate, Largs, KA30 8BE
St Columba's Scottish Episcopal Church, Largs The oldest church still in use in Largs. Architect: Ross & MacBeth. Building Date: 1876
Plaques to Baron Kelvin of Largs, scientist and Thomas MacDougall Brisbane, explorer, who gave his name to Brisbane, Australia. Marble reredos with symbols of the 4 Evangelists.
Location: Aubery Crescent, Largs, KA30 8PR
St John's Church, Largs Congregation dates from the Disruption of 1843. Building reconstructed late 19C in French Romanesque style by Archibald J Grahame, his only monument. Fine stained glass.
Location: Bath Street, Largs, KA30 8BL
St John's RC Church, Cumnock Architect: William Burgess. Building Date: 1882. Gifted by 3rd Marquess of Bute. Artwork and good stained glass windows.
Location: 92 Glaisnock Street, Cumnock
St John's Scottish Episcopal Church, Girvan Built of Penkill blue whin with Dalmellington freestone dressings by architect Alexander G Thomson who restored Penkill Castle.
Tower added 1911 by James Chalmers. The odd exterior is compensated by a charming interior with fine 16C chancel screen of Italian origin, and a chair from Holyrood Palace.
Building Date: 1859. Location: Piedmont Road, Girvan
St John's Tower, Ayr Remaining part of the original parish church of Ayr. A landmark to seamen, it offers magnificent panoramic views.
The church, in its time the largest in Ayrshire was cruciform in shape and the tower was perhaps added in the 14th century.
In 1315 Robert the Bruce convened the Scottish Parliament in the church. Restored by J K Hunter for the 3rd Marquess of Bute in 1913-14.
Location: Bruce Crescent, Ayr, KA7 1JH
St Margaret's R C Church, Ayr Opened 1827, the first Catholic Church in Ayrshire since the Reformation. Fully refurbished.
Fine stained glass, a mixture of Gothic and new including Pan Am 103 memorial by Susan Bradbury. Two-manual organ by Hardy & Sons, 1894.
Location: John Street, Ayr
St Nicholas' Church, Prestwick Built on a cruciform plan, the building has 20 fine stained glass windows, including WW1 and WW2 memorials, a superb Millennium window by Prestwick artist Moira Parker and many interesting symbolic features.
Impressive red sandstone church. Architect: P MacGregor Chalmers. Building Date: 1908. Location: Main Street, Prestwick.
St Ninian's Scottish Episcopal Church, Prestwick Built 1926 on site of former church land given for Lazar house (leper hospice) after Robert the Bruce was miraculously healed of his skin condition in 1321.
The organ dates from 1947 and the new hall 1999. Next the ancient site of St Ninian's Chapel dating from the 8C and Kingcase Well (known popularly as Bruce's Well).
Location: Kingcase, Junction of Ayr Road & Maryborough Road, Prestwick, KA9 1S
St Ninian's Scottish Episcopal Church, Troon James A Morris, 1912-13, in the Arts and Crafts manner, of Mauchline stone. Features oak doors and furniture by Robert Thompson of Kilburn, North Yorkshire, displaying his distinctive carved mouse trademark.
Location: 1 Bentinck Drive, Troon, KA10 6HX
St Peter in Chains RC Church, Ardrossan Category A church designed by Jack Coia and T Wharnett Kennedy, 1938, in red and yellow brick with red tiled roof and a simple, impressive interior. the Presbytery has recently been rebuilt.
Location: 1 South Crescent, Ardrossan
St Quivox Church, Auchincruive Category A listed. The mediaeval building was restored in 1595 and extended to form a T-plan 1767.
Good pulpit and 18th century fittings, and the kirkyard contains the mausoleum of the Campbells of Craigie by W H Playfair, 1822.
St Sophia's RC Church, Galston Category A Byzantine-style red brick church, designed by Anderson for 3rd marquess of Bute, clearly inspired by Hagia Sofia in Istanbul. Interior design and diocesan links with William Burgess.
Building Date: 1885-86. Location: Bentinck Street, Galston, KA4 8HT
Stair Parish Church Restrained Gothic, in a lovely rural setting. Architect: William Alexander. Building Date: 1864
Straiton Church 18th century church with Pre-Reformation aisle. Convenanters' graves.
Stumpy Tower, Girvan Erected 1825-27 to serve as a jail with cells on first, second and third floors, all barrel vaulted. Following loss of adjoining McMaster Hall by fire in 1939 it is now free standing.
Exhibits include 16th century wrought iron cannon and police memorabilia. Location: Girvan Town Centre
Sundrum Castle, Coylton Sundrum Castle is amongst the oldest inhabited castles of Scotland, dating back to the war of Scottish Independence when it was declared forfeit to the crown.
Sir Robert Wallace, a relative of Sir William Wallace, the Scottish freedom fighter, was appointed Sherriff of Ayr in 1342, succeeded by his son Duncan in 1359 who commissioned the building in the 1360's.
In 1936, Sundrum was sold to an enterprising hotel syndicate. The Wallace Tower has recently undergone an extensive and complete building refurbishment assisted by Historic Scotland. Rooms are available for let.
Sundrum Castle sits off the A70 near Coylton, 4 miles from Ayr.
Symington Parish Church 12th century Norman with 18th century extension. Oldest church in Ayrshire still in use. Restoration by P McGregor Chalmers, 1919.
Fine dog-toothed three-light windows and collar-beam roof with original timbers. Stained glass by Gordon Webster, Douglas Strachan and others.
Location: In centre of village, off A77.

© RuleWorks - All Rights Reserved - Policy - - Sitemap