The Ayrshire Guide Twitter: @VisitAyrshire   VisitAyrshire Facebook
The Visit Ayrshire Guide RSS Feed
*
Accessibility

Background

Visit Ayrshire Scotland

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 

...K...

ItemDescription
Kilhenzie Castle, Maybole Taken over by the Kennedys about one mile due south of Maybole on the Girvan road. Dating from the 16th or 17th centuries.
Restoration appears to have been carried out in the 1850s for the Fergussons of Kilkerran.
Killochan Castle, Dailly Substantial fortified house still a private residence on B741 four miles north east of Girvan.
Kilwinning Abbey Church Simple T-plan. Attractive Eglinton Loft supported on Corinthian columns. Stained glass by W & J J Kier, Stephen Adam, Gordon Webster, J T & C E Stewart, Abbey Studio, Sax Shaw and Paul Lucky.
Foster & Andrew organ 1887. Wall tapestry and 800th anniversary window. Cole Hamilton screen.
Architect: John Swan. Building Date: c 1774. Location: Main Street, Kilwinning, KA13
Kilwinning Abbey Tower Heritage Centre David Hamilton replaced the NW tower of Tironensian Kilwinning Abbey in 1816 after it had been struck by lightning in 1809.
The Heritage Centre has displays on the Abbey , the Tower, Robert Service, Robert Burns and local history.
French, German and Spanish translations available for history of Abbey and Tower. Census records. Access to top of Tower possible for magnificent views.
Location: Main Street, Kilwinning, KA13 6A
Kirkhill Castle, Colmonell 16th century Kennedy Castle now in ruins situated on A765.
Kirkoswald Old Kirkyard According to legend, St Oswald, King of Cumbria, fought a great battle here in 634 AD and in thanks to God for his victory built a church. In 1244, monks of Crossraguel built a stone church, remains are still visible.
Over 500 graves spanning nearly 400 years, including those of the real-life models for Tam o' Shanter, Souter Johnnie and Kirkton Jean.
Location: A77, S end of village, Kirkoswald, KA19 8HY
Kirkoswald Parish Church Robert Adam, 1777, category A listed. Belfry contains Dutch bell dated 1677 from pre-reformation church on Old Kirkyard.
Robert Burns attended services whilst being schooled in the village from 1776, also President Eisenhower.
Building restored and renovated in 1997. Location: At southern end of village up hill at the Shanter Hotel.
Knockdolian Castle, Colmonell 16th century tower house now owned by the Duchess of Wellington, situated one mile west of Colmonell on the River Stinchar.

© RuleWorks - All Rights Reserved - Policy - - Sitemap