Troon Harbour and Marina
Ships had been tying up at the rocks at Troon for many years before a primitive port developed in the 17th century. In the early 19th century Troon was developed as a coal port by the Duke of Portland, and in 1811 two dry docks were built (the largest in Scotland) and a shipbuilding industry was begun.
The east breakwater was built in 1840 along with the wet dock (now used by the Clyde's main fishing fleet). The northern dry dock was used to refit Scotia and the southern dock (enlarged in 1881) was used to fit her rigging.
Troon Harbour is now a fishing port, yachting marina, seasonal passenger ferry port and Ro-Ro ferry terminal for timber and containers. The shipbuilding industry at Troon Harbour ended in 2000.