Stumpy Tower, Girvan
Stumpy Tower in Girvan was erected 1825-27 to serve as a jail with cells on first, second and third floors, all barrel vaulted.
Following loss of adjoining McMaster Hall by fire in 1939 it is now free standing. Exhibits include 16th century wrought iron cannon and police memorabilia.
Stumpy Tower is Girvan's former gaol. The name Stumpy comes from the Gaelic “Olladh Stiom Paidh” and relates to the phrase "Great Circle of Justice" which is a similar meaning to Knockcushan Street, upon which the tower sits, meaning the Hill or Knoll of Justice. Even King Robert the Bruce has held his court in this area of Girvan as in the 13th Century the Chief Court of the Earldom of Carrick was Girvan and one of the earliest surviving courts cases in the South West of Scotland is recorded from the Girvan Court.