St Johns Tower, Ayr
All that remains of the great Burgh Kirk of St. John the Baptist. Open to the public by arrangement.
The tower was one of the later additions to the original kirk of Ayr, first established around 1300. On 26th April 1315 after Bannockburn, the Scottish Parliament met here and confirmed the succession of the Scots Crown.
Ayrshire has numerous tales involving King Robert the Bruce and William Wallace. Bruce had ties to Ayrshire and held his 2nd Parliament at the Church of St John. It was in this old kirk that the nobility and Parliament of Scotland officially passed the crown to Robert The Bruce at a specially convened meeting.
Royal Burgh of Ayr - The Common Seal of the Burgh
Ayr has the earliest surviving founding charter of any Royal Burgh in Scotland. A Holy lamb and the head of St John the Baptist flank a castle. The original castle likely had a similar form to the seal image. The reference to St John the Baptist refers to the patron saint of Ayr and the medieval church dedicated to him there.