The Royal Burgh of Ayr held the Rozelle lands as part of the Barony lands of Alloway until an auction in 1754 to reduce the Burgh debt brought sale of the lands to Robert Hamilton for £2,000.
The Hamilton family made their fortune in the sugar and tobacco industries in the West Indies.
The first mansion house was finished by 1760 and was in the classical style of Robert Adam. During the early Nineteenth Century the house was remodelled by David Bryce to remove the previous classical structure.
The Estate of Rozelle was gifted to the public in 1968 by Commander J. Hamilton, on the understanding that it be utilised for cultural and recreational pursuits only.
Rozelle House - Steps to Discovery - Bridges and Bicycles