Loudoun Hall, Ayr
Loudoun Hall is one of the oldest buildings in Ayr, dating from the late 1400's and is situated in the Boat Vennel, which almost directly opposite the bottom of the High Street.
It was built for James Tait, a wealthy merchant who traded with European countries. Later, in the 16th Century, it became the townhouse for the Campbells of Loudoun, the heridary sheriffs of Ayr.
In the first half of the 20th Century it lay neglected for some time until the 4th Marquis of Bute stepped in to rescue it from demolition and had it restored.
It is now home to a variety of societies, such as the Ayrshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, Ayrshire Philatelic Society and Ayr Photographic Society.