Ayr Train Station
Ayr entered the Railway Age in 1840 when the Glasgow-Ayr line opened under the auspices of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway Company.
The original train station was in Newton at the North Harbour as it was convenient for business and harbour trade. People stopped off at the town inns such as one at 238 High Street. This is now the ‘Tam o’ Shanter Inn’ which took its name in the 1840s to attract tourists on the way to Alloway.
The station transferred to Townhead in 1857 and the line was further extended to include Dalmellington (1856), Maybole (1856) and Girvan(1860).
British Rail faced with competition from road traffic withdrew services to Mauchline, Cumnock and Muirkirk (1951), Dalmellington (1964), Heads of Ayr (1968), Kilmarnock (1968).
On the busy Glasgow line the diesels replaced steam trains in 1969 and the line was electrified in 1986.