St. Quivox Parish, Auchincruive
There are two St. Quivox churches in Ayrshire. The pictures below are from the Church of Scotland building in Auchincruive. There is an RC chapel in Prestwick with a similar name.
St Quivox, a parish in the county of Ayrshire, Scotland was created in 1845 and abolished in 1895. It was part of Kyle.
In early days the parish was known as Sanquhar (Sanchar) - this referred to an area roughly 3 miles north of the River Ayr and 5 miles inland. There are still farms with this name in the district. The church of Sanquhar was a rectory and existed prior to 1208. Its pre-reformation history is summed up in Scott's Fasti (new edition) thus "From 1221-1238 the church of Sanchar belonged to the Gilbertine Priory of St Mary at Dalmulin within the parish. From 1238 till Reformation it was owned by Paisley Abbey".
The present name of St. Quivox is believed to have been derived from 'Santa Kennocha Virgo in Coila" (Malcolm II era). It was found spelt St. Kevock, St Kenochis, St. Cavocks and St. Evox. The latter could be found on local milestones until a few years ago.
The church was served by a reader from 1567. It was restored by Lord Cathcart of Auchincruive in 1595 and an old panel on the south wall bears his arms & initials. The first minister after the reformation was Colin ROW in 1604. A later minister Dr. William McINHOE, 1764-1823 is mentioned by Burns in "The Twa Herds".
In 1755 the population of the parish was 499 from 96 families - 4 blacksmiths, 4 masons, 5 colliers, 3 weavers, 30 farming and 43 part time labourers. Around this time Sir Thomas Wallace of Craigie feued land for building north of the Auld Brig from which Wallacetown developed.
In 1759 Auchincruive Estate was purchased by London merchant, Richard Oswald, son of minister at Dunnet. By 1792 population had risen to 250 families mainly at Wallacetown, by 1835 it was found necessary to build another church to serve this area and then in the following year it was declared a separate parish. In the 19th century, the Oswalds built a new manse and two additions to the original church.