Alloway Auld Kirk and Grave Yard
The Alloway Auld kirkyard holds the grave of William Burns, Robert Burns’ father, as well as many of the local people who featured in the life of Burns’ Alloway.
The kirk, which dates to the 16th century, was built on the site of a much older church, as can be attested by the use of a medieval memorial stone in its construction.
Following restoration work, the kirk and graveyard were reopened to the public by Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond in April 2008.
The story of Tam O'Shanter is here at Alloway's auld, haunted kirk.
Robert Burns is an integral part of Scottish cultural heritage, the nation's Bard, and loved across the world. Here in South Ayrshire we come closest to connecting with that heritage, with the kirk and graveyard adding to a historical landscape that includes the Burns National Heritage Park and Burns Cottage Museum.
The Rev. William Adair came to Ayr in 1639 during a time of great political and military upheaval. He was a major covenanting figure who fought at the battles of Mauchline Moor and Dunbar. He was also the first minister to conduct a service in the new church of the Auld Kirk in 1656 and was prominent in the religious and secular affairs of the town, including the suppression of alleged witchcraft.